Sunday, November 18, 2012

CALLED TO SERVE

     This week my appreciate for the Brethren of the church, namely the Prophet Thomas S. Monson, his counselors and the 12 apostles, has grown beyond comprehension. For many reasons, most of which are too personal to share.

     But to answer the question that was brought up in my last post... I GOT MY MISSION CALL!!! I have been called to serve a full time mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the California, San Jose mission. I will report to the Provo Missionary Training Center on February 13, 2013. I will preach the gospel in the Tongan language and will serve for 18 months!!!
     I was blessed enough to have opened my call surrounded by the majority of my family and my close friends! It was one of the greatest experiences of my life! The spirit was so strong and I knew that wherever I'd be sent was where I needed to go!!
     So the time has come to really truly prepare. I feel like I've been preparing my whole life, but now is the time to really know the doctrine. I can now picture where and who I will be serving! It makes it all that much more real and important! In a morningside at my highschool Larry Gelwix, a rugby team coach taught up about hardwork. He said, "We can either feel the pain of HARDWORK or the pain of REGRET!" And I feel that is especially important when it comes to missionary work! The number one thing I do NOT want is regrets! So in order to accomplish that I'll need to remember President Monsons words. "Life by the yard is hard. But life by the inch, is a sinch!" And lastly, the greatest quote in reference to missionary work has to be the one given my Elder Jeffrey R. Holland of the quorum of the 12 apostles. He said, "Much of the time we are just too casual about all of this. This is eternal life. This is the salvation of the children of God. Eternity hangs in the balance!" Oh how I pray I wont take my mission lightly. That I will work hard every single day because the people I'm serving deserve that. This is much too serious!

     I am so grateful for my calling to serve in San Jose, California! I'm grateful to serve the wonderful Tongan speaking individuals and more importantly, the Lord. I know this call came from God and that the apostles that decided on it and the prophet who signed off on it, are men called of God. They are here to direct His church. They are righteous men who are doing their best to be more like our Savior. We would all be wise to follow their counsel.

Nofo A,
Toko Ua Samples

( goodbye and sister in Tongan (: )

No comments:

Post a Comment